Why is Posture Important?
Many of us are guilty of having poor posture. Sitting for long periods of time, lack of exercise and driving can lead to the shortening and weakening of some muscles. As a result, it will lead to problems like the following:
- Forward head posture
- Rounded shoulders and shoulder pain
- Muscle imbalances
- Spinal dysfunction
- Nerve and/or vascular compression
- Back pain
- Protruding abdomen
- Joint and disc degeneration
What Causes Posture Problems?
- Tightening of the muscles
- Muscle Weakness
- Adhesions or Soft Tissue Shortening
- Reduced Neuromuscular Control
What is Good Posture?
A good posture, when viewed from the side, can be seen as head balanced over the torso that an imaginary line can run to the ear down past the shoulder, hips, and knees.
The perpendicular line of gravity can be viewed as follows:
- About front and center of the knee joint
- Roughly five cm front of the ankle joint
- Behind or through the hip joint
- Front of the shoulder joint
- Behind the ear through the mastoid process
If you want a precise evaluation of your posture, schedule an appointment with your Denver chiropractor. A chiropractor has the experience, knowledge and proper training to assess and treat problems involving posture. He can determine muscular imbalances that result from poor posture and design an individualized posture correction program that specifically addresses your posture problems.
For help with poor posture, contact Denver South Chiropractic today by calling 303-757-7272 to schedule a consultation.