Orthopedist vs Chiropractor For Back Pain

spinal correction denverPeople are commonly confused about when they should  visit a chiropractor for back pain and when it’s best  visit an orthopedist doctor. Some don’t even realize that visiting a chiropractor is a good choice when back pain arises. While visiting both is acceptable, it may be  easier to first seek the advice of a Denver chiropractor.

While some conditions should be  diagnosed and treated  by an M.D., you should know  that a chiropractor will also provide  full physical exam and  examine your medical history and lifestyle to get a comprehensive view of the problem. In the event that your chiropractor is unable to  treat the condition, they  typically can identify it and refer you to the appropriate specialist.

Chiropractors never begin treatment without a complete  pre-examination. However, a chiropractor may not treat your pain if he suspects that the symptoms may be caused by a more serious underlying condition. If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, your chiropractor will refer you to an orthopedist immediately:

  • Problems controlling bowel or bladder function
  • Numbness in the genital area
  • Pain accompanied by  fever, sweats or chills
  • Pain that wakes you during  the night
  • Back pain associated with leg pain
  • Numbness or tingling in the legs
  • Weakness of the  leg muscles

These symptoms often mask  more serious health problems, and they are not related to lumbar muscle strain and ligament strain. Only pain related to muscle and ligament strain  can be treated by a chiropractor. Conditions or health problems such as spinal tumors need to  be reported to your chiropractor immediately as these health issues require a different type  of care and are probably causing the pain. h.

Before beginning any spinal or back manipulation treatment, your Denver chiropractor will take care to accurately diagnose the problem. If something turns up that the chiropractor cannot treat or if he is unable to fully diagnose the problem, he will refer you to an orthopedist. Whether you choose to see a chiropractor or an orthopedist first, the doctor will examine you and work with you to determine the best course of action for safely and successfully treating your pain.

If you are experiencing back pain, you may also be worried that you may been back surgeon and wondering  if you  should consult with a spine surgeon. Typically, you should  start off with a physical exam from your  family doctor or a chiropractor prior to  seeing a spine surgeon. Both can  advise you on whether or not the condition is serious and what you should do next. In many cases,  an orthopedist or spine surgeon will refer you to a chiropractor anyway if  you pain is not being caused by a serious condition.